Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Indiscriminate Contemplations (Lengthy)

  • The Houston International Quilt Festival last Saturday was fabulous. I didn’t get many pictures. In fact, I hardly took any. No photography was allowed for most of the show. Phooey.

    In times past, they allowed it without flash. This time, they didn’t allow it at all. I totally understand because frequent flash (light) is not good for fabrics. And, some folks are unethical (taking pictures for copyright infringement). Many folks don’t know how to turn off the flash on their phones and small cameras and yet, they still take pictures. That is all kinds of wrong. I was annoyed the last time I was at a show when people still took pictures with the flash in spite of the fact it was against the rules. I feared this very thing happening (banning all photography). Sure enough, it did. *sigh*

    However, I find it curious that people who attended the Market (earlier and separate from the Quilt show) were allowed to take photos. The reason why I know this is because I’ve seen quite a few bloggers posting pictures of quilts and more from the Market. It’s frustrating for this blogger (me) to not be able to talk (pictorial-wise) about the show. *sigh*

    Anyway, I didn’t have much of a purpose at the show other than to look at sergers. I did a little research and I thought I’d get a Janome. But, after seeing the Baby Lock serger demonstrated for me, I decided to go for that one even though it’s extremely pricey. It’s so cool! And, just right for me. I'll have to save up my money to get one and it's going to take FOREVER. Ha!

    I did fall for a bunch of fabrics of a particular design at the show; but, I refrained from getting any. I regretted that because I just can’t get them out of my mind! So, I will probably go to a quilt shop tomorrow to see if I can get some. We’ll also go to a farmer’s market nearby. So, it should be a fun day.

    I saw Alex Anderson up close and personal. Let me tell you, she was scary for this shy girl. Ha!

  • We stayed at my Mother’s house last weekend. Thankfully, nothing disastrous happened this time around. (A water pipe broke during my last stay at the house.) It was sort of depressing though because we were alone and there was not a whole lot to do ~ No TV and Internet. We can get online via our broadband card; but, it’s a pain. And, I was so cold Saturday evening that we went to bed early and tried to get warm. The heat wasn’t working all that well.

    I explored outside for a little bit Sunday morning. I discovered an interesting looking spider in the front yard and located a few pecans in the back yard. Memories of the days long past flashed through my mind and sadness overwhelmed me because the one constant for the holidays is gone. Changes are here and I do not know what to do. I’ve always gone home for the holidays. But, this isn’t going to be happening anymore.

    I’m missing the family gatherings; but, the family is so scattered that this just isn’t possible. We’re going to one of my brothers for Thanksgiving this year. We’ll be close by Mother to take her some of the feast and visit with her. After that, I am not sure what we'll do.

    Mother wasn’t feeling very well when we saw her Sunday and my hope of her returning home is gone. She just isn’t going to ever return. That time has ended. She most likely will stay in the nursing/rehab care for the rest of her life. She still goes walking; but, hasn’t improved. She gets tired so easily. It breaks my heart; but, there is nothing I can do. It’s really all up to her; but, she has no desire or willpower to overcome her hurdles. She seems somewhat content; although, she still isn’t happy with the food there.

  • I’ve been getting up between 5:30 and 6:00 every morning since the time change last Sunday. And, I’ve been going to bed around 10pm. I’m planning to stick with this simply because I think I can get more accomplished with two extra hours in my day. Ha! We'll see. And besides, I can’t really sleep once I wake up around that time in the morning. So, I might as well get up.

  • Linky Love:

    Spoon Fudge!
    . Fudge you eat with a spoon. Here’s a review about it. This is how I heard about this company. Now, I haven’t order any of this stuff in spite of getting a good review. But, I did check out the site. And, oh my! Dark Chocolate! Dan would probably like the Chocolate Peanut Butter cup or just Chocolate Peanut Butter flavors. By the way, I sent Dan the link and his response was “that's just all kinds of wrong”. Ha!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that your Mom isn't doing any better. It's hard to watch a parent go downhill. We'll keep praying for her.

    Interesting about the flash on a camera messing up the fabric. I didn't know that.

    I've been thinking about getting a sewing machine lately, but haven't done any research on them yet. I don't want to spend a lot because I don't know if it will be a craft that will fall by the wayside or not. There have been many crafty casualties along the way. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!