Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Layer Cake Quilt Along: Documentation III


Previously: Documentation II

The instructions for Block 3 was posted November 20th. It is a variation of a basket block. I have to say that I am NOT a fan of baskets in quilts. There are very few block patterns that I do not like and baskets is one of them.

So, I debated mentally with myself about whether or not to make one for this quilt. I also posted my dilemma on facebook.

One friend responded with Throw caution into the wind and live on the wild side. Dare to color outside of the lines. ;-) But, I get intimidated to go outside the lines (rules).

Another facebook friend (who also happens to be my cousin) commented with Don't do it! Never have a block you don't like, it will just catch your eye each time. You can find another block you do like. She's right.

So, I made the decision to color outside the lines. But first, I had to make the original block out of scrap - just for the experience and adding to my learning curve. I have to be able to say "I did it" even though it will not be in the final product. Ha!


Block 3 of Layer Cake Quilt Along Using Scraps

This is what it's suppose to look like. Bleck. No matter what fabrics is used, or the style (pattern) of baskets, I'm just not a fan of them.

I did learn that I do not like making HSTs without some form of paper piecing. The triangles just aren't as accurate without them no matter how hard I try.

So, I colored outside the lines. I had leftover Half Square Triangles (HSTs) from a previous Layer Cake block. I decided to stick with (added) the three fabrics that the original block pattern required. I then doodled.
There were mistakes in this one; but, you get the drift. To make a long story short, I made a sample out of scraps and discovered the mistake after I cut the fabric. However, I went ahead and sewed up the fabrics into four patches and then tried variations off this drawing. I still liked the drawing version best and decided to modify it.


Final Drawing

I went back to the drawing board to finalize the design and make it mistake proof. Ha! I really liked the fact that I could showcase one of my favorite fabrics.


My Version with Scraps

But first, I had to make a sample block out of scraps to make sure it was free of mistakes. And, of course, I was being lazy in that I did not make up some HSTs for the block. I liked it and it was correct in size and everything.

So, I picked the three fabrics out from the Layer Cake.
And, cut the fabric. I also threw in the leftover triangles from a previous block.
I then arranged them all together. I deviated from my final drawing just a tad. I liked the HSTs arranged this way better.

And voilĂ ! My Layer Cake Block 3. I'm very pleased with it.

Now, I'm fairly confident that there is a block (pattern) out there that is just like this one or very close to it. I've seen so many blocks throughout the years that it is now all melded into my brain. Ha! Thus, I do not have a clue to what the name of this block is if it exists. It is probably a variation (modified version) of a Four Patch block. Or, a Snowball block. Or,... Well, you get my drift.

I posted both the above block and the basket block to the Flickr Group pool. Check the album out for the latest blocks! The deadline for this block is December 14th. So, I'm sure many more pictures will be posted from now until then. So far, I'm the only one who had a major deviation from the original pattern for Block 3.

Next Up: Documentation IV

1 comment:

  1. Whew! I'm not a quilter so this looks like a lot of work to me. But on the other hand I like to knit complicated patterns and make big projects. So I guess it's tit for tat. =^.^=

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!