Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Hooray for the Red, White & Blue Show


It has been a long time since I posted anything crafty or quilty related. I just have not found the time or the energy to do any of these things of late. However, I did take the time to go to a Quilt Show on July 27th. This quilt show was presented by the New Braunfels Area Quilt Guild and held at the New Braunfels Civic/Convention Center in New Braunfels, Texas.

I arrived at the show a tad early and it was a little nuts. They were not selling tickets until the opening of the show. A crowd had gathered and I was not expecting this for a smaller quilt show. They need to handle crowd control better in the future. But, other than this small problem, it was a very nice show to attend with a decent amount of vendors.

I first wandered among the quilts on display. I saw other quilters taking pictures; but, I still did not feel comfortable taking pictures knowing the history concerning taking pictures of quilts especially at the Houston International Quilt festival. I found a worker and asked if we can take photographs of the quilts and she said yes. I still respected the fabrics and did not use a flash. It was tough to photograph quilts in manual mode in a dimmed environment without a tripod. However, I think I did okay.

Anyway, here are a few of my favorite quilts that I took at the show:

In Honor of Those Who Serve
Pieced and Quilted by: Peggy Meathernia, Artisan

This was the first quilt I came upon that I absolutely loved. This picture does not do the quilt any justice. I discovered later that I made several critical errors with the camera itself and I am surprised this picture came out okay. The quilt itself was flat out gorgeous.

Lighthouses
Pieced by: Sherry Lambrecht, Open
Quilted By: Kelleigh Sommer

This was a gorgeous quilt that reminded me of Dan's mother, who loves lighthouses. It actually is from either a kit or a block-of-the-Month program. This goes to show you that, in spite of my bad experiences with them, these can and do turn out wonderfully.

Sadly, I did not get the name of both the quilt and the quilter. In looking through the show guide, I do believe this is Feathered Friends which is pieced and quilted by Fawn Kunnemann, Master. Please, please, if anyone can confirm or deny this for me, I would appreciate it very much!

Anyway, you should know why I loved this quilt. No further words needed. Ha!

Tattoo Virgin
Pieced and Quilted by: Sherry Duringer, Artisan

This made me laugh out loud! It not only was wonderfully done, it was humorous. If you cannot read what the girl is saying, it said "Oh!.. I KNOW I'll REGRET this in the morning". By the way, it received a red ribbon, which meant it placed second in its category.

Spirit's Flight to the Stars
Pieced by: Jeanie Fincher
Quilted by: Sherry White

This was absolutely gorgeous. And, it reminded me of my Dad, who was deeply patriotic and loved birds of all kinds. It had a blue ribbon, which meant it placed first in its category.

I really enjoyed myself at this quilt show. There is another quilt show being held in Fredericksburg, Texas in August/September. I would love to go to that one too and I am planning to go on Friday, August 31st. Now that I got a little experience with picture taking and if this show allows it, I hope to take better pictures. We shall see.

Piece,

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so bummed that we missed that show. We wanted to make it. We went a year or two ago (who can remember now) and it was a great little show. Glad you got to see it and thanks for sharing pics. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love and appreciate the work in these beautiful quilts!! The time and artistry of each is very commendable. Your photos were good and I think 'manual' mode gave them a warmer feeling.
    Nice to meet you Lee Ann.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!