Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Ucreate: My Vinyl Art Canvas Project

U Create

At the beginning of every month, Ucreate issues a crafty tutorial (with a link to the tutorial). We have practically a month to complete the project.

Well, I decided to join in the October's Project as it was different and outside my comfort zone as I'm not a artsy fartsy painter and whatnot. Also, I wanted to see if I could do something like this as I've been loving some of the vinyl wall art and signs out there.

I set out to buy some precut vinyl designs and didn't want to spend a whole lot of money in case the project flopped. I had coupons for both Hobby Lobby and Michaels and went shopping. I went to Hobby Lobby first and found hardly anything in the vinyl category. So, I went to Michaels and found some that I liked.

The problem was with the fact that I liked two different packages. I had trouble deciding on just one. So, I ended up buying both.

The way I did this cheaply is I bought one of them on a Saturday with a 40% off coupon. And then, I went back the next day with another 40% off coupon to buy the second one. I also bought the canvas with a 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby. I purchased some artsy acrylic paint from Walmart for 97 cents each. So, all in all, it turned out cheap.

Here is the result of my efforts:

I am fairly pleased with it. I now know I can do this in the future if I ever desire to include vinyl art and sayings in my home and not be afraid to spend good money for it.

Here are some pictures taken while working on the project.

Dan snapped this picture while I applied the first color on. I had envisioned colors graduating like the sunrise or sunset in my mind's eye and well, ha! I'm definitely not a painter/artist.

Puke! I was so disappointed with it and myself because I simply could not accomplish what I set out to do. I also didn't want to spend more money. So, what's a girl to do? Dig into her stash of mistinted paint of course!


Much better! I only painted on one coat. I liked how it looked. And besides, I was impatient to get on with it. I let it dry completely and then started cutting apart the vinyl sheets and arranging the flowers and weeds on the canvas to accomplish the look I was going for. I then applied the vinyl onto the canvas.

I then cut apart the dots and the dragonfly and arranged them onto the canvas. Once I was satisfied, I applied them. I wasn't happy with a plain ol' green dragonfly. So, I cut up a smaller lime green dragonfly and applied the body parts on top of the green one. Much better.


Not bad. I like it. Not sure if I will keep it though.