Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wordy Wednesday



This Black Witch moth, also known as the butterfly of death, was roosting by our front door when we arrived home the day after my niece's baby shower.

I was dumbfounded by the size of this critter -- the wingspan is around six inches. I must confess that I was extremely nervous taking a picture of this thing. I couldn't have been more than four or five feet away standing on a step stool using a Macro lens. The thing didn't move at all.

There are many myths and legends surrounding this particular moth. Most of them are always associated with sickness and death. A couple deals with money and luck. There is one particular myth that I have read that has stuck with me considering the timing of this moth's appearance.

In Hawaii: "If a loved one has just died, the moth is an embodiment of the person's soul returning to say goodbye".

This creature showed up at our house two days after I said "I'll see you later" to my Dad AND one day after the Tiger Swallowtail made an appearance.

How can this myth NOT stick with you? And, how can one NOT be touched by it?

Let me clarify, I don't believe in myths, legends, and superstitions. However, I do believe that God can speak to you through people, other living creatures, and even through the myths and legends you hear or read about.

I felt touched by this event. I do believe God was telling me, through this moth, that "all is well".

7 comments:

  1. I sometimes think that God sends gifts our way to brighten our worst days. Sorry again about your dad. Hang in there.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wicked looking moth (no pun intended). X-) I'll bet it was incredible up close and personal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Suzanne: I agree and thanks!

    @Kara: LOL. He was a monster! And yes, it's a he. The females are smaller and have a pale white band. The details were incredible.

    But, I gotta tell you. Shhh, we had another close encounter with a different monster moth in the almost same location about a month later. It was incredible. And yes, I took pictures of it.

    I really need to get going and work on posting the Garner (camping) pictures. I'm so way behind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful picture! I'm glad this was a blessing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!