Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

On Frugality: Free Deoderant, Soap, & More


I’ve been asked how in the world I’m getting practically free shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, body soap, and more.

This is probably going to be the only post about this as it’s just a personal thing/challenge of mine and not everyone is interested in this. I can only hope that this post makes absolute sense to readers.

I’m going to just use this past Sunday’s CVS shopping trip as an example to try to demonstrate. I also take advantage of Walgreens, just not as much as I do CVS.

The one running philosophy I have is that if it doesn’t give me anything in return, I don’t consider it. However, there are exceptions to this philosophy of mine. If the product is on an excellent sale and if I have a coupon for it that will bring it to mere pennies or better yet free, then I will often go for it.

I have a pretty good memory of what manufacturer coupons I currently have. I perused CVS new ads online Saturday night and I noticed the following:

  1. Coke: 12 oz cans 12 pk -- 4/$13. This is not that great of a deal. But, there was a $3 ECBs (Extra Care Bucks) for purchasing these. And, we were desperately low on Coke. So…
  2. Nivea for Men Active 3 body wash 16.9 oz: $4.99. ECBs $4.99
  3. Gillette clear gel deodorant $3.99. ECBs $1.00
I had the following manufacturer and CVS coupons:
  1. $1.00 for any Nivea Body Wash
  2. Buy Gillette any deodorant and get Gillette Body Wash Free
  3. $3.00 CVS ExtraCare Bucks coupon
  4. $5.00 CVS ExtraCare Bucks coupon
So, I ended up getting all of the following (at the advert sale or reg. prices):
  1. 4 packs of 12 cans of Coke: cost $13.00
  2. Gillette clear gel deodorant: cost $3.99
  3. Gillette body wash: cost $4.99
  4. Nivea body wash : cost $4.99
Bringing the total cost to $26.97 before taxes.

WAIT! Remember my coupons? I gave the cashier ALL my coupons which saved me $13.99 bringing the total cost down to $12.98 before taxes.

Basically, I got the deodorant AND the two body wash products for free.

AND, that is not all. In return, I received the following:
  1. $1.00 ECBs
  2. $3.00 ECBs
  3. $4.99 ECBs
This gives me a total of $8.99 ECBs to use in future shopping trips.
Result: More freebies in the future. :-)

AND, that is not all. I received a bonus coupon.
  1. $1 off any Excedrin that expires 9/26/2010
I also have a $1.50 Manufacturer’s coupon expiring 10/16/2010 for Excedrin in my stash of coupons.

I use Excedrin Extra Strength as it works best for me. The problem is that I need the tablet form as I have to chew the pills up (I cannot swallow pills). Only Walgreens and CVS carry the tablet form of Excedrin. (My Walmart and Target do NOT carry this particular product). So...

Knowing CVS track record, they most likely will have a sale on this product within the next couple of weeks. You can be sure that I’ll be getting this then along with the coupons. :-)

3 comments:

  1. I tried the CVS thing, but I was not that good at it. I ended up spending too much and it wasn't worthwhile. I wish I could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't couponing great! Takes a lot of work and patience... but it saves money that's for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anna: It takes a lot of self discipline when going shopping.

    @ Kimberly and Ashley: Yes, I agree! It is a lot of work, patience, and self discipline. But, it is so worth it in the end. :-)

    To both of you, thanks for commenting on my blog!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!