Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

A Week in Pictures (#9)

Note: This post is several days late due to the holidays and being busy. Posts will be sporadic due to it being Christmas time.

Becker’s White Butterfly 11/16/2012

I saw a rather sizeable white butterfly fluttering about the tiny yellow flowers late in the afternoon. I dashed inside, dumped my stuff and grabbed my camera. This is a rare butterfly sighting for me. By the way, another link to Becker’s White Butterfly is here.

Butterfly 11/17/2012

I spied this little critter resting on the siding of our house. It is missing a sizeable portion of a wing. However, it is still able to flutter/fly. By the way, this is the only picture I took on this day.

Ugly Fly 11/18/2012

{To see a larger image, go here.}

This critter was resting on the concrete slab of our back porch. I decided to take a picture to see what it may look like up close. Ugh! It is worst up close! Ha! By the way, I suspect that these critters mature into one of those ugly dragonflies. I have not had much time to do research.

Hairy Caterpillar 11/19/2012

{To see a larger image, go here.}

These critters are so cute! They do vary in coloring and markings and I believe they eventually become moths. I am keeping an eye on two chrysalis formed from these types of caterpillars. It is interesting to know that the hair becomes a part of the chrysalis. I am hoping to catch one coming out as a moth. By the way, my advice would be to never touch a caterpillar with your bare hands. Some caterpillars have toxic defenses.

The Annunciation Catholic Church in St. Hedwig, Texas 11/20/2012

The first time I saw this church was at sunset. The steeple looked blue. (This picture was taken late in the morning in harsh sunlight. I will have to go back late in the evening to get a better picture.) This is actually a beautiful building in a very tiny town established in 1855 by a group of Polish immigrants fleeing poverty, cultural harassment, and religious persecution. One of these days, I am going to go inside the church – it supposedly even more beautiful inside.

Satsuma 11/21/2012

These Satsuma were harvested by my nephews. The plant was given to my Dad by whom I call my dad-in-law years ago and it was planted at the lake house. The boys brought over 230 of these fruits!

Spices for the Turkey (Rub) 11//22/2012

A variety of spices to rub on the Turkey for Thanksgiving dinner. Dan cooked the bird. By the way, it turned out delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!