Thursday, September 11, 2014

A Long Dozen Quilty Secrets

I got this idea from a blog I regularly follow called Porch Swing Quilts and she got the idea from a blogger she follows! I thought I do my version of it and I am sure I will offend people. But hey, it is all about being honest and I admire these gals for doing it too. I cannot believe the blogger does not like wonky log cabins! I adore them. But, it is the differences that make the quilting world go around. Correct?

Note: I have since discovered there is a link party here where you can peruse other quilters' quilty confessions. This is also where I got the above image.

  1. I am not a fan of Batik (or Bali) fabrics. This is not to say that I will not accept or use them in my house. I just will not buy them.
  2. I dislike solid fabrics of any kind (brand). I tend to go for fabrics that read as solids.
  3. I am not a fan of the modern movement. The rules are too strict and, in my humble opinion, do not allow a whole lot of creativity to flow through. I mean, you can get penalized or dissed for not using what is considered to be “modern” fabrics! Every person has their own definition of what is modern. I think it is pretty sad when a judge penalizes a gorgeous quilt simply because the fabrics used were not considered modern enough by the judge's personal definition. Yes, this actually happened at QuiltCon in Austin I attended several years ago. I blogged a little about my experience at the show here.

    Note: To learn more about modern quilting, go here. {You will need to scroll down just a tad to see “What is Modern Quilting?”}

  4. I do not prewash fabrics. I used to prewash fabrics; but, I feel getting good quality cotton fabrics no longer makes prewashing a requirement.
  5. I will buy fabrics at 50% off (or more) with no project(s) in mind. In fact, it is extremely rare for me to purchase fabrics that are not 50% off or more. I buy fabrics that I either adore or read as a solid. I want to be able to shop among my stash and make any project I wish to make without guilt. And yes, I hoard fabrics. There. I said it. I am a fabric hoarder.
  6. I cannot sew with shoes (or sneakers) on. I must be barefoot or have on socks.
  7. What is the difference between pressing and ironing? I think I iron. I think I press. Actually, I must be doing both.
  8. My most favorite part of quilting is choosing fabrics and piecing the top. This is why I also design and piece the backing using leftover fabrics I used in the top. My least favorite part is the actual quilting. But, I think if I can get started using my mid-arm with the quilting frame, I’d get over that hurdle.
  9. I am not a fan of precuts. That is to say, I will use them; but, I prefer to buy half-yards or larger which gives me greater freedom. I am not a fan of the pinked edged that many precuts come in. I would rather cut my own squares, strips and whatnot.
  10. I adore wonky log cabins. In fact, I love most wonky (skewed) blocks. It is a twist on the traditional which appeals to me.
  11. I dislike polyester which is why I use 100% cotton threads. Yes, I am a thread and fabric snob. You won’t get me to use polyester or any other fake (man-made) materials for quilts I make. It is 100% cotton all the way!
  12. I run over pins while sewing. It is not that I do it on purpose. It is just that I am sewing madly and I often forget that they exist. I do try to remember and remove them; but, if I run over them, it is not the end of the world.
  13. I currently have four or five UFOs (Unfinished Objects) including one I started way back in 1994 or 1995 which needs to be hand quilted. I am dying to have my room completed to the point where I can start crafting, sewing and quilting again.
By the way, "long dozen" is a legit phrase. I bet many of you did not know this or what it meant. I am mean (a tease). Ha!