Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tuesday's State of Affairs


I have been slowly working on making flying geese out of charm squares using a Fit to be Geese ruler. Actually, I used scraps because I wanted to be sure I understood the instructions first before dipping into a charm pack (a bundle of 5" squares).

I am not going to bother with the instructions in this post because you find them here and here. Both of these links were written by the same author. The first is in a PDF format and the second is a blog post.
I first dug into scraps leftover from my mother's Maxine quilt. I then sprayed it with some of Mary Ellen's Best Press. I have been hearing a lot of positive comments about this stuff and wanted to give it a try.
I then cut a 5" square from each fabric. I also cut 4 1/4" squares from each fabric. If I were using a charm pack, I would have trimmed them down to 4 1/4" squares. Yes, there will be a little wastage making flying geese out of a charm pack. But, that is the price I am willing to pay if they turn out well.
Triangles from the squares.
I dived into chain piecing to make these units. It made things very quick! I think I will be doing a lot more chain piecing in the future!
Finished Flying Geese Units

I am real pleased with my efforts. These are the best flying geese I have ever made. I think using the Mary Ellen's Best Press helped immensely especially when sewing on the bias. I also liked the Fit to be Geese ruler as it made trimming up the units easy.

Now, what to do with these units? I think I will sew up the units like you see in the picture and maybe make one row go in the opposite direction. And, I think I will make a mug rug. However, I could not decide which fabric scraps to use as borders.
So, I converted the picture to a black and white format. It looks like the "blah blah blah" fabric has the best contrast. So, I am going with that. I hope I made the right choice! And, I hope I have enough of this fabric to use. Ha!

1 comment:

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!