Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Caterpillars

I normally post DIY, Crafting, Quilting stuff on Tuesdays. But, since I have not done much in the way of these things lately, I have decided to do a few posts on a series of pictures I have taken that I feel just need to be shared.

I believe I shared a couple of pictures of caterpillars in my “Week in Pictures” posts. I just love these critters. I think it has to do with the knowledge that many of them turn into butterflies and/or moths. I just adore flying flowers.

Back to caterpillars. I found it fascinating that they come in a variety of colors and sizes. I do believe the majority with hair will turn into moths.

I am sharing some of my favorite pictures taken over a span of time. I do hope y’all enjoy viewing them.

11/2/2012

{To see a larger image, go here.}

This is the first one I encountered (or noticed) at our new house. My goodness, I adore them through the camera. Of course, I did not know these types are ever plentiful around here when I shot this picture. I have taken many pictures of a variety of caterpillars since this one I took. It is hard to pick and choose among the favorites.

11/2/2012

Side view of the above critter.

11/4/2012

{To see a larger image, go here.}

I saw this critter two days later – vastly different from the first above.

11/4/2012

Side view of the above critter which was taken before I got him onto a piece of stiff poster board. As you can see, they differ in coloring even though they are similar in size and look.

I am just going to post favorites (along with dates taken) from hereon.

11/6/2012

{To see a larger image, go here.}

11/6/2012

{To see a larger image, go here.}

11/10/2012

{To see a larger image, go here.}

11/10/2012

{To see a larger image, go here.}

11/10/2012

{To see a larger image, go here.}

11/14/2012

{To see a larger image, go here.}

I first posted a picture of one of these critters in A Week in Pictures (#8). I had a lot of fun shooting them. (I came across three on this particular day). While taking pictures of this critter, I discovered something fascinating about its defenses.

11/14/2012

{To see a larger image, go here.}

I had gently poked one with a stick in hopes of getting it to move when suddenly the bright yellow horns appeared. It shocked the heck out of me because I was NOT expecting that. And yes, I screamed like a girl. But, I recovered quickly and determinedly took a couple of pictures.

11/16/2012

{To see a larger image, go here.}

This is one of the last pictures I have taken of caterpillars. I am now keeping an eye on several Chrysalises in hopes of witnessing one of them coming out of their cocoons.

2 comments:

  1. These photos are awesome! The first one is my favorite. That little guy reminds me of a cartoon character with his fuzzy hair and clown makeup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each of these are wonderful LeeAnn, some are simply stunning. You have a knack for great macro shots!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!