Pages

Friday, January 10, 2014

DIY: Farmhouse Table

I had posted this DIY sneak peek back in December. Well, now I am going to showcase what I have done. Dan was sick with allergies and I wanted him to take a break from doing work on my room. I was raring to do something I had wanted to do for a long time all on my own – a major woodworking project.

I began this project on November 31, 2013 by first going shopping and buying all the necessary supplies. Speaking of that trip, I was mostly in charge with Dan tagging along. It became hilarious when an employee asked me what I was looking for and I told him. He then proceeded to ask me what length I wanted and I looked at my list and exclaimed “shit”. The man immediately replied with “we don’t have that size” making Dan and I laugh. I apologize for my language and checked the plans again online using my phone. Dan explained to me that it is often assumed that if the length is not mentioned, then it is usually 8 feet. So, I then repeated what I was looking for in 8 feet lengths to the very patient and amused employee who then directed us where we should go.

Once we returned home with the supplies, I immediately started cutting the wood with Dan’s guidance and power tools. He had no clue to what I was doing and started reviewing the printout of the plans while I measured wood so that he would be better informed. By the way, I did all the measuring and the cutting. I honestly wanted to do it all by myself. When I finished the first cut, He mentioned creating a jig and I was like “What?!?” He explained what a jig was and I was like “oh, a template”! Ha! Quilters have their own terms for similar woodworking things. Anyway, once he showed me how to do that, the process went a lot faster because I did not have to measure all the wood – just the first one of many of the cuts of the same size. I was thrilled!

The next day, December 1st, was the start of building the actual project. But, I hit a stumbling block – my own strength. I could predrill holes; but, I could not get the screws in. It took me forever to get the first one put in. I even put my whole body on to the screwdriver and it still wasn’t enough. I wanted to do at least one to say that I have done it. After that, I “hired” Dan to do that work. Even with his strength, it was hard work for him. I felt bad because he was still sick with allergies. But, I think he felt good doing something. I still put things together and told him here and here and here (where to put the screws). He changed a few things with my approval simply because it seemed the better way to go.

By the end of the day, the project started to take shape and I was thrilled. We finished making the top the following day and then we had to take a break and return to doing indoor project due to the weather (it was extremely cold baby!) and the fact Dan was feeling better. I think from here on, I will let the pictures tell the story.

12/8/2013

Table top done! I believe this was after we had it prepped and ready for staining.

12/21/2013

The bottom part gets stained (morning)

12/21/2013

Table top gets stained (afternoon)

1/1/2014

Table legs get primed

Table legs painted (same color as the casings in our house)

First coat of Poly (and it is still wet in this picture)

1/5/2014

I will take a picture after the second coat of Poly goes on and the table is in its place (better lighting in that location). This could take place this weekend. And, someday in the near future, I will make two matching benches to go with this Farmhouse table.

Note: You can find the plans for the Farmhouse table here. And, on that site, there is plans for matching benches. Let me warn you in advance, the table weighs a ton! Once it is in its place, it is not going to be moved again! Ha!