Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wordy Wednesday {On Valentine}

Mini MMs 8/2/2012 {for a challenge I never completed}

Valentine’s Day is coming up. I have to confess that I am not a fan of the holiday. I think this goes back to my elementary school days. It was just a popularity contest – who gets the most cards. And I, of course, would be one of those who would get the fewest.

I even had a teacher who had a rule that each student must give a card to everyone in the class. I was thrilled with this rule; but, when card exchange event occurred, I was sorely disappointed because I received only a few. When she asked if everyone received all their cards, I said no. I remember seeing disappointment all over her face and scolding the class. From that day on, Valentine’s Day was just another holiday to dislike and I was so happy that it was done away with upon entering Junior High (which was sixth grade for us).

So there you have it, how I learned to dislike Valentine’s Day. And indirectly, I have come to dislike roses and extravagant gifts over the years, because to me, it is all falsehood. In other words, it is faked and/or an obligation to do something for those you love.

I think the expression of love should not be forced by a holiday. I have to ask. Should not every day be Valentine’s Day? In other words, when you love someone, you express that to them any time and any day. You do not need to wait for a special day. Every day is special. Why wait for the one day of the year when it may be too late? After all, no day is guaranteed to anyone. Tell or show your love one now and often.

Now, don’t get me wrong. If your loved one’s love language is “receiving gifts”, then give them gifts. But you do not have to do it only holidays like Valentine’s Day or even Christmas day. Yes, they most likely love the whole holiday thing as it makes them feel loved; so, do not exclude the holidays. However, I think gift giving can also be done on ordinary days.

Well, I think you get the point from all the rambling I have just done. I hope and pray none of you were offended by my thoughts concerning Valentine's day.

Live every moment, love every day, cause before you know it, precious time slips away.” ~Reo Speedwagon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!