Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!


Happy Mother’s day to all of you who are Mothers – cats and/or dogs count too!

I am thankful for my Mother. She gave me the gift of life when she could have had me aborted at the advice of several doctors. (She had Rubella, otherwise known as the German measles, during the 10th week of pregnancy with me).

I am thankful that she (and my Dad) made many sacrifices so that I would learn to speak and read lips – this costs time with my other siblings and I do believe some of them resented me and/or Mom for choosing to make sure I am going to classes and whatnot. As a result, Mother missed many what I call “Mom’s days” at their schools.

I am thankful that Mother was creative in sewing. She would create these awesome belts with a pocket out of wide elastic lace that went around my waist to hold my body aid and it was hidden underneath my clothes. She also made lots of cute clothes for me. I still remember a few of them including the ones that had a matching outfit for my doll.

I am thankful that my Mother was supportive of my efforts and desires to follow my brothers and be a part of band. I don’t know what I would have done if I didn’t have music to keep me going – probably become a dropout because I absolutely disliked school. It turned out that no one needed to worry – I had the talent and the desire in spite of my deafness.

I am thankful to my sister-in-laws, who are Mothers themselves. They allowed us to be a part of their children’s lives as much as we were able to be. I am thankful especially to one of my brothers and his wife for allowing us to be a part of their children’s growing up days. It was fun attending major and minor events and watching them grow up. Thank you for letting us be a part of their lives. I am feeling a great sadness that they’ve grown up and having lives of their own; but, I am proud of them at the same time for they have matured into wonderful young men.

I am thankful that I got to see my nieces frequently too. Even though we lived far apart, we still got a chance to see them, especially around holidays. I am so proud of how they’ve grown and matured. And, they’ve become (or about to become) awesome Mothers themselves. My youngest niece, also my Goddaughter, is the one about to become a Mother and I’m absolutely thrilled. I wish we lived a tad closer. This one feels special to me and I want to be a part of that baby’s life too if they’ll let me.

We are entering an era where our nieces and nephews are grown up and I have to confess that I feel sad and “ancient”. I am thankful that my oldest niece shares about her kid’s lives with us all. She is doing fabulously with them. They are the cutest little kids and look so happy.

I am also thankful that a cousin’s wife does the same thing with his own kids. She is an awesome Mother... And, I’m thankful to my husband’s brother and his wife because they do the same thing with their own (share pictures and tidbits). It is fun watching them grow up “virtually”.

What is it about kids, especially your relative’s kids, that tug at your heartstrings? You’d do anything, within your power, for them. Well, except change stinky diapers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!