Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Fun in the Kitchen III (Pizza! Pizza!)


Pizza Sauce: Fun in the Kitchen I

Pizza Dough: Fun in the Kitchen II

This pizza was made the Tuesday after we made the pizza dough.


The cast of characters for making the pizza itself.


A little flour on the surface you plan to roll dough on goes a long ways. My man usually does this for me as he’s a little better at it than me.


Roll the dough into the size you want. It doesn’t have to be perfectly round. In fact, this one came out a little more rectangular than circular.


We make our pizza right onto the pizza peel. So, we put a little corn meal on it before placing the dough on top. This helps it slide right off the peel onto the baking stone in the oven.


Roll up the edge of the dough. I found that I like smaller crusts. So, mine tends to be small. Others like larger crusts. My man doesn't even bother rolling it up when he makes his personal pizzas. It all depends upon your tastes and preferences.


Dab a little olive oil onto the dough before placing ingredients on top. The olive oil acts like a barrier and is supposed to help the dough from getting soggy from the sauce and whatnot. We found this to be true in the instances we forgot to do this step.


Spread some pizza sauce onto the dough. This was fresh pizza sauce I had made earlier, which is why it is in a bowl. If you stored the pizza sauce in a baggie, thaw it out it and/or bring it to room temperature first. Clip a corner of the baggie and squeeze out the sauce onto the dough and spread it out by whatever utensil you heart desires to use.


We tend to use about 1 ½ cups of Mozzarella, ¼ cup of Parmesan, and ¼ cup of Romano. We try to get block cheeses and grate them ourselves. But, it’s hard to find block cheeses at either Wal-Mart or HEB nearby. We would have to make a special trip to Whole Food Market to get them and sometimes, they don’t even have them!

Also, the types of cheeses used are a personal taste thing. We found through experimentation that we like this mixture best. You'll need to experiment to discover what you like best. I think some members of my family use Mozzarella only. I guess I have refined tastes. Ha!

Anyway, we spread 1 to 1 ¼ cup of Mozzarella onto the pizza first.


Then the parmesan goes on…


And then Romano goes on… I found this in block size at Wal-Mart, which is why I am using the Microplane grater. And yes, I always wing it (estimate the portions).


Place pepperoni on top. I love pepperoni. Use whatever toppings your heart desires. We’re going to try a BBQ Chicken pizza someday soon. It’ll have BBQ sauce instead of tomato, provolone cheese instead of mozzarella, and chicken with onions instead of pepperoni. I saw this mixture in a recipe in one of the food magazines I get and thought it sounded delish.


And then, we put the rest of the Mozzarella on top. Yummo!

We’ve been throwing it onto a baking stone in a preheated 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes. By the way, we used 400 degrees in our oven back at the house we used to have in Houston. So, you’ll have to experiment to get the right temperature for your temperamental oven.


This is what our pizza looks like when it’s done. It tastes a lot better than it looks.


Cut it up and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. MMMmmmm....It looks delicious! I can almost smell it. ;-)

    I'm jealous of your pizza peel. I haven't made that investment yet. I usually have to use parchment paper directly on the stone. I transfer it with an upside down cookie sheet. The edges of the paper burn a little, but it's okay otherwise.

    Your siggies are always so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!