Pages

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Unphotographable Memories:1, 2, & 3


I first encountered the concept of unphotographable moments quite some time ago and fell in love with the concept.

The purpose is to write an extremely long sentence or short paragraph about the "pictures not taken that weren't meant to be forgotten". I took it one step further and included moments in time remembered with such clarity and refuse to be forgotten.

I thought it would be a excellent way to practice and stretch my writing abilities. I have decided to share some recent ones with you. So, here are several that I have written since encountering the concept of unphotographable moments.

Warning: The last one may be a tough read.

This is a picture I did not take of a well groomed young boy sitting on a piece of burlap on top of a huge slide gazing up his Mother with utter trust in his face reaching out his tiny hand for her to hold while she sat beside him on the adjacent slide looking at him with a big smile and reached out her own hand to grab his.
{Witnessed at the San Antonio Rodeo Feb. 6, 2011; written February 2011}

This is a picture I did not take of a shiny black car with a man in white standing beside it in the middle of a brown field after it ran through a section of green grass, crossed an exit ramp, knocked down a sign, ran through another section of green grass, crossed the frontage road, and crashed through a barb wired fence finally coming to a rest in a field of brown.
{Witnessed on April 15th, 2011; written April 2011}

This is a memory forever engraved upon my mind of watching a man lying on a hospital bed with an oxygen mask having difficulty breathing slipping off to forever sleep under the influence of morphine all the while I am mentally screaming “That’s my Daddy. That’s my daddy. Oh daddy”.
{January 13th, 2009; This was not written until recently - May 2011}

2 comments:

  1. Good writing...and yes, the last one was tough to read but indelible as an image on the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting concept. The last one was too vivid for me. I've asked the Lord multiple times to remove a similar image from my mind completely. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!