Pages

Friday, December 5, 2014

Feline Friday: Gopher Hunting - Part III

As soon as I took this last picture of Gracie in my last Feline Friday's post, Abby Gail took over the hunting and I put my camera down. I had taken many pictures of her gopher hunting - It was the same ol’ same ol’ stuff.

At one point, Dan (and I) decided to bury the hole since there was too much activity by the gopher. We then went about our business and I kept an eye on Abby. She soon went back to that spot and started acting like a terrier digging uncovering the hole. There is not much I/we can do except let her be a cat.

Unphotographable Moments #10

This is a picture I did not take of Abby Gail (flying backwards) spread eagle in the air about three feet of the ground with a tiny creature simultaneously appearing inches away from its hole in the ground.

~ November 8, 2014 ~

When I witnessed this, I immediately screamed and panicked. After Abby Gail landed, her whole being screamed “what do I do with it now?” She cautiously approached the tiny creature, bopped the gopher on the head and immediately hopped backwards because the gopher snapped back.

By this time, Dan had reached Abby and grabbed her leash. He held Abby in check and examined the gopher from a short distance. He informed me (via sign language) that the gopher had bloody gashes on his (or her) hind leg. He also told me to grab my camera.

I was able to quickly snap a few pictures in spite of my concern and nervousness. It looked like the gopher was not seriously harmed. Dan eventually guided it back to its hole that it came out of with a long piece of wood. At first, the gopher fought back; but, once he (she) reached the hole from whence it came, it perked up and scampered back into the ground. The gopher should survive as long as his (her) wounds doesn’t get infected.

When Dan saw the pictures I took (which are shown below), he said they were awesome. That made me feel good because most of the time, I feel like I am shooting and getting squat. I have to say that when I opened up the pictures to view, I thought they were rather good too. This is a rare thing for me to feel these days about my pictures.

{To see a larger image, go here.}

{To see a larger image, go here.}

I know we probably should have killed the gopher; but, I have such a tender heart and do not believe in killing critters unnecessarily even if they are a nuisance in the landscape. I do see cats -- strays, ferals, and the ones belonging to Gardener – hunting off our land from time to time. I have to confess that I secretly hope they find and kill a gopher or two. After all, some of these cats eat only things they are able to catch.

Anyway, Abby was so pleased with herself. She was also so exhausted that she slept like the dead for hours once we went back indoors.

15 comments:

  1. Cute story and photos..LOL, I am glad both kitty and gopher survived the ordeal.. Hubby and I feel the same about killing unnecessarily..Thank you so much for linking up your post. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel the same way too. Glad both kitty and gopher were okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that was exciting forw for us and now for us to see. Thanks. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome photos! I know cats are hunters, but I can't help wishing they won't catch anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They really are awesome pictures. I've never seen a gopher before. I don't like to kill critters, either (except for roaches) nor see them in pain or suffering. Grace tends to just like to play with her victims, too. The other day I saw her tormenting another mouse she found outside and I had to bring her inside. :-/ Needless to say, she wasn't happy. I'm glad the gopher is okay. There is nothing like hunting to knock a cat out for a while. It's hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet she is very proud of herself. Maybe the gopher will decide to relocate now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! So much drama! Great photos of the encounter...glad the cat is OK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @MarieYup! There is always drama when it comes to Abby Gail

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!