Pages

Monday, May 9, 2016

Weekly Recap #18


{May 2 through May 8, 2016}

Gardening

  • I have been dehydrating a bunch of parsley. I have way too much growing and hate to see them go to waste! The dehydrator I purchased works fairly well and I am pleased with my efforts.

    By the way, I see pickling cucumbers coming forth. I need to find a good dill pickle recipe soon. I found a tip to add a grape leaf to each jar which will help the pickles themselves remain crunchy. So, I shall give that a try as we have tons of wild grape vines growing along the fence out in the backyard. Speaking of which, I spied green little berries on the wild grape bushes! Just maybe, maybe we will have a good crop later this summer! I just hope it continues to rain periodically because this is what prevents grapes, berries and lemons to just shrivel up and die before maturing. I am watering our lemon and grape bushes when it has not rained in awhile. But, the wild grapes and berry bushes, I let nature take its course.

Quilting; Crafts

  • I sewed up the Bordered Square-in-Square block. I also picked out fabrics and sewed up two Square-in-Square blocks. By the way, I ended up paper piecing the square-in-square portions. All of blocks are for section 2 of the Gypsy Wife quilt. I picked out fabrics to make an Old Maid Puzzle block. I just need cut the fabrics and sew the block. I also hope to sew all of the blocks and strips for section 2 together this week. We shall see – slow and steady wins the race.
  • splish splash stash
DIY Shed aka "The Barn"

  • I was sick Saturday with migraine, stomach and even nausea / dizziness troubles. It has been a long time since I felt this way. I discovered one of the reasons why Sunday morning – TOM (Time of Month) came. I am sick of TOM. I wish there was a switch or a pill I can take to get it to stop completely. In the meantime, Dan built a bunch of trusses for the barn. I felt bad as I wanted to help him out.

    I was feeling much better Sunday and helped Dan finish building the trusses. We ended up having to run around to find more nails for the barn. I thought we could get it locally; but, stores were closed on account if it being Mother’s day and / or Sunday. Silly me, I forgot. So, we ended up making a run to the city for supplies.

    We attempted to put up a truss Sunday afternoon and failed utterly. It was tough because I have a fear of heights and ladders. As long as I feel safe, I can overcome that fear. However, I just cannot climb a ladder while simultaneously hauling something. We made scaffolding out of a ladder and it just was not high enough for me to hold a truss up. Dan is taller than I and even he failed. We eventually did figure out a way to get a truss up and even nailed it down; but, we could not secure it properly. So, we had to admit defeat and call it quits.

    Dan researched online for ways we can build the roof with just the two of us and discovered many possibilities. It is just a matter of him deciding which method is best (and safe) for both of us to us before the weekend comes. We may be defeated; but, it’s only temporary. We will not be down for long. We will find a way and we will succeed.

Some Links to Share


A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers.

~ Ruth Bell Graham ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!