Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Few Words III

Has it really been a month since I last posted? I thank all of you readers for hanging in there with me. I am not sure what I will do in this blog in the future. There may be changes due to the fact that I just do not have the time or the inclination to blog these days especially since it is now summertime.

  • Weather and Gardening:

    The weather has been fabulous here. It has been a very unusual spring. It is usually blazing hot by this time of the year. But, most days, it has been cool. It is even cool this morning; although it will get into the high 80s (F). But, reports indicate a cool front is coming through and temperatures will be low once again. A high of 77 (F) is indicated for Saturday – extremely odd for where we are living.

    I am thankful for the cooler weather I mentioned because it is giving the major plants we planted over a month ago a chance to establish itself before the blazing summer heat strikes. I have mentioned before that we have two apple trees and a lemon tree. All of them are doing well. I also have a blackberry bush that I planted and to be honest, I am surprised it is doing well. It even produced a few measly blackberries!

    As for my garden, it is not doing well. We are fighting critters (most likely gophers) eating our fragile plants. We will build several screens to protect future plantings. I am determined to try again in the fall in spite of my disappointment with the spring gardening.

    I do believe that laying down hardware cloth in the ground has worked. The critters cannot come from below the ground. However, they are coming from above ground and eating off the tops of the plants. I have lost all my cucumber plants which I wanted so badly for pickling. I also lost quite a few pea plants not to mention the carrots. I had planted garlic; but, critters dug into the ground and destroyed them.

    I do have strawberry plants thriving; but, the berries keep getting eaten. I also have bell pepper plants growing and they seem to be doing well. The herbs are thriving too and so are the marigold plants that I put in the middle of the garden.

  • Home:

    We are making very slow progress on the house. Dan is currently working on transforming the kitchen lighting situation. I looked for something to replace the current light; but, I did not find any that I like and would work. So, Dan and I came up with the idea of ripping out the current framing (trim/molding) and replacing it with a design of our own. Actually, I designed it from memory of something I seen in the past and he is doing the wood work. I think it is going to look very nice. We shall see when he is done with the project. And yes, I will take after pictures. (The above picture is a before picture).

    I have so many ideas floating around in my head and many of them are projects that will both functional (for us) and a good thing for the cats. For example, I have seen modular bookcases; but, most are not aesthetic pleasing to me and/or do not fit in with our current design/architecture (ranch/craftsman) not to mention they are mega expensive! So, I went a searching and found something that I think would work with a few modifications and Dan will build them. They will provide a way to showcase my Krystonia figurines and allow the cats to get up high.

  • Photography:

    I still take pictures regularly. However, I have not really challenged myself in this area. It takes time to process each picture and make them blog worthy as they are shot in RAW format. But, I am planning on sharing them with everyone soon.

  • Health:

    Since my last post I had not really suffered a headache or migraine until several days ago. I discovered that emotional distress will bring on a migraine almost immediately. My one personal fault is that I am too hopeful, naive and forgiving. I need to deal with a few issues that are both past and present related in order to heal.

    In the meantime, I am doing better than I have before. I think I am ready to get back into walking and general exercising once again. We shall see how well I do when I begin again.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. I pray that you will continue to gain insight into things contributing to headaches and move toward healing.

    Gardening has been one of the most frustrating things for me. If it's not the critters, it's the sun or drought. Each new trial is a chance for a new learning experience, though, right? ;-) (I might need you to remind me of this).

    PS: I made an exception for allowing cookies for specifically for Blogger.com, and it looks like it is going to allow this comment to go through.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!