Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2014

A Long Dozen Quilty Secrets

I got this idea from a blog I regularly follow called Porch Swing Quilts and she got the idea from a blogger she follows! I thought I do my version of it and I am sure I will offend people. But hey, it is all about being honest and I admire these gals for doing it too. I cannot believe the blogger does not like wonky log cabins! I adore them. But, it is the differences that make the quilting world go around. Correct?

Note: I have since discovered there is a link party here where you can peruse other quilters' quilty confessions. This is also where I got the above image.

  1. I am not a fan of Batik (or Bali) fabrics. This is not to say that I will not accept or use them in my house. I just will not buy them.
  2. I dislike solid fabrics of any kind (brand). I tend to go for fabrics that read as solids.
  3. I am not a fan of the modern movement. The rules are too strict and, in my humble opinion, do not allow a whole lot of creativity to flow through. I mean, you can get penalized or dissed for not using what is considered to be “modern” fabrics! Every person has their own definition of what is modern. I think it is pretty sad when a judge penalizes a gorgeous quilt simply because the fabrics used were not considered modern enough by the judge's personal definition. Yes, this actually happened at QuiltCon in Austin I attended several years ago. I blogged a little about my experience at the show here.

    Note: To learn more about modern quilting, go here. {You will need to scroll down just a tad to see “What is Modern Quilting?”}

  4. I do not prewash fabrics. I used to prewash fabrics; but, I feel getting good quality cotton fabrics no longer makes prewashing a requirement.
  5. I will buy fabrics at 50% off (or more) with no project(s) in mind. In fact, it is extremely rare for me to purchase fabrics that are not 50% off or more. I buy fabrics that I either adore or read as a solid. I want to be able to shop among my stash and make any project I wish to make without guilt. And yes, I hoard fabrics. There. I said it. I am a fabric hoarder.
  6. I cannot sew with shoes (or sneakers) on. I must be barefoot or have on socks.
  7. What is the difference between pressing and ironing? I think I iron. I think I press. Actually, I must be doing both.
  8. My most favorite part of quilting is choosing fabrics and piecing the top. This is why I also design and piece the backing using leftover fabrics I used in the top. My least favorite part is the actual quilting. But, I think if I can get started using my mid-arm with the quilting frame, I’d get over that hurdle.
  9. I am not a fan of precuts. That is to say, I will use them; but, I prefer to buy half-yards or larger which gives me greater freedom. I am not a fan of the pinked edged that many precuts come in. I would rather cut my own squares, strips and whatnot.
  10. I adore wonky log cabins. In fact, I love most wonky (skewed) blocks. It is a twist on the traditional which appeals to me.
  11. I dislike polyester which is why I use 100% cotton threads. Yes, I am a thread and fabric snob. You won’t get me to use polyester or any other fake (man-made) materials for quilts I make. It is 100% cotton all the way!
  12. I run over pins while sewing. It is not that I do it on purpose. It is just that I am sewing madly and I often forget that they exist. I do try to remember and remove them; but, if I run over them, it is not the end of the world.
  13. I currently have four or five UFOs (Unfinished Objects) including one I started way back in 1994 or 1995 which needs to be hand quilted. I am dying to have my room completed to the point where I can start crafting, sewing and quilting again.
By the way, "long dozen" is a legit phrase. I bet many of you did not know this or what it meant. I am mean (a tease). Ha!

2 comments:

  1. from one LeeAnna to another LeeAnn, it's nice getting to know you!! How refreshing your post is compared to so many. And you explained a lot of the modern mindset to me. I am a creative quilter, teach it and speak about it, so it's nice to know people like you exist these days. Now I have to go read some of your links! LeeAnna at not afraid of color lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. @LA PaylorHow cool is it to meet another LeeAnna? I love the name of your blog! And, thank you for your refreshing comments! I'm off to stop by and read your blog post now.
    (I am slowing going through the link party; but, am skipping and hopping off to yours now.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!