Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Macro Monday {Scorpions}


Popping on for another Macro Monday.
I heart Macro.
Your Sunday Best.

We recently had two encounters with scorpions and both were alive. The first encounter was a dead one that Chessie killed way back on October 17, 2010. Here is the second one:
This scorpion was spied by Dan when he came home from bowling on May 14, 2012. He came in with a smile and told me to grab my camera. As you can see, this scorpion killed a June Bug. Go scorpion, Go! Can't you tell that I despise those June Bugs? Ha!

{PS. This was taken at night with a flash and macro lens. It is not the greatest picture because I was nervous as heck being so close to this sucker.}

The next encounter was on May 25th, 2012. My Gracie was the huntress that let us know a critter was in hiding. She kept trying to get underneath our shoe basket. Dan went to check it out and lo and behold, there was a tiny scorpion underneath the basket. I ran to get a glass and he trapped that scorpion with it. I told Dan that Gracie should get a few moments with it as she deserved it. I grabbed my camera (with Macro lens still on it) and snapped this picture:
Isn't this too precious? She really wanted that scorpion so badly. When she sort of lost interest, Dan slid a piece of poster board underneath the glass and released it far away from the house.

These two latest encounters make us really nervous. We had not seen any since the dead one Chessie killed just under two years ago and then we see two within two weeks! Scary!

6 comments:

  1. I have to say...I don't think I could of got close enough to capture this photo! Great job!
    Laurie @ Pride In Photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I'd have been screaming like a banshee and running about the place. Great images though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally understand how you feel -- I wouldn't know what to do if I saw one of these in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! Those are so cool. I can't even imagine finding a scorpion under a shoe basket. I think I would have had a heart attack. Adorable photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think june bug is less scary to have than scorpion. Great capture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooohh, I don't like those things! Love your shots, though. Great images for low light and being scared. We hate June bugs, too, but not as much as a scorpion. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!