Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Wordy Wednesday {A/C}

Our main Air Conditioner (A/C) broke down three times so far this summer. This is just our luck. We are now saving up money to get a brand new A/C system next spring due to the fact many of the parts are no longer being sold. It is frustrating because the system is only seven years old. (The house is a little over seven years old and we have owned it a few years.) It is one of the cheapest systems you can put into a house. We never dreamed that we would have to get a new A/C so soon.

My advice to any homeowner building a new house, do NOT go for the cheapest. Instead, go for at least a mid-range price A/C system.

This is the reason for the second breakdown. This is a vital part that makes the A/C run. The cause of the problem? Ants. Stupid ants. Can you see them?

Hundreds of dead ants filled up this part preventing it from working properly. For some odd reason, ants are attracted to electricity. A new part was put in and this time, a cover was installed to help deter ants. There is no guarantee that it would stop them; but, it may at least deter them from getting inside.

In the meantime, I went on a warpath. I had recently won the battle against the ants inside; but, now the battle was carried outdoors.

I concocted my own ant killer (a mixture of borax, diatomaceous earth, and corn meal) and poured it on every ant pile that was within 10 feet of the house. I would stab an ant pile, pour some of the mixture onto the pile and the mix it in with a small shovel. This worked for all active ant piles because they were all gone (dead) within 48 hours.

There was only one situation where I could not locate the actual ant pile. As a result, I had to resort to using Ortho Max Home Defense Insect killer {spray form). In fact, Dan sprayed this stuff all around the foundation of the house. Now, we just need to remain vigilant and watch for new ants.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm sorry you are having to replace the A/C so soon. We had to do that one time in the past and it was exorbitant. Very interesting about the ants being attracted to electricity, and I'm glad to hear about the natural solution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @littlehouseintheozarks.comI was afraid that the natural solution would not work; but, I used the most successful ingredients I had used in the past to kill or drive ants off. Corn meal takes forever; but, it eventually works in driving fire ants off. Borax kills most ants dead and DE slices up their bodies causing them to die a slow death. I know. A horrid thought; but, I was on the warpath!

    We already started saving money before this A/C issue popped up. It is just shifting of priorities. We have a few things we want and need around here such as a new fence out front, a garden shed and nice burn pit (which we plan to make/build). The A/C just went to the top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's...a bit unnerving if you think about it, heh. Like something out of a David Cronenberg film. You can probably go on and on with this about man vs nature, and how weathering and time can damage all kinds of things. But I guess you should have to give your A/C a good look see. You'll probably have to replace it, no doubt, but you could look further into other things as well, such as what factors could have caused the damage and what could be done to prevent it. It might be the placing of the unit itself, or the conditions in the area.

    Shelley Coday @ C & C Heating & Air Conditioning

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Shelley CodayI don't know why I am thinking this is spam. Maybe due to the fact that it sounds like you did not read my post entirely. If you had, you would know that parts are no longer being sold for this particular unit/brand.

    It could also be due to the fact you listed your business blog link makes me think it is spam.

    But, since I am not entirely sure this is spam and you were very polite, I will leave this comment in place.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!