Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Our Long Weekend (April 9 - April 11)


Pictures from the weekend are not quite ready yet. However, I thought I write a short note about it.

We went for a drive last Friday to see wildflowers and ended up at Wildseed Farms. I love that place. We were there between 1½ to 2 hours just exploring and taking pictures. The best time to go is in the spring and early summer. This place has all kinds of things a gardener may want including food such as jams, jellies, sauces, etc., & etc. I think they are on the pricey side, though. You can also buy seeds via catalog, which is currently free. You can quite a variety, including bluebonnets, paintbrushes, sunflowers, and poppies.

We also went for a drive along Willow City Loop. I have to tell you. If you ever get a chance to take a drive along this loop in the springtime when the wildflowers are in full bloom, you have to do it. It’s absolutely mind boggling – thousands and thousands of bluebonnets (not to mention other flowers) in fields, among rocks, along streams, and among cacti. It is absolutely beautiful. The scenery is constantly changing. I’ve never seen anything like that before.

The one thing that was annoying, but I didn’t blame them, is people were stopping, getting out, and taking pictures. This road often passes through private properties and owners ask that you don’t stop or pull over. These people were disrespectful of their requests. You will also need to drive slowly as you may encounter live cattle (we saw some right on the edge of the road).

We went to the Poteet Strawberry Festival Saturday. As always, we left to arrive when the gates open. And, as always, we’re glad we did because the lines of cars to park was awful as the day progressed. I don’t know about you; but, I don’t like sitting in long slow moving lines just to get somewhere.

We had a very good time roaming around on the grounds. We attended a few events such as the fiddle (kids) contest, belly dancing, and pig races. There were quite a few booths selling goods including strawberries. We saw raptors on display and of course, there was the carnival.

We did end up ordering some new Cutco knives. We rarely buy them directly from the website or a seller. We usually buy them via booths and/or vendors. Why? Because you can often get deals and steals via booths and/or vendors. These people want to make sales.

In this case, we purchased red handled kitchen shears, a petite Chefs (Santoku) knife, and a cheese knife. The deal? We got the cheese knife free. This completes my whole wish list collection. Well, I did want the silverware; but, I’m not going to spend that kind of money just for silverware! I am happy with all the knives and related accessories that I have now. I just pray that Cutco doesn’t come out with anything new.

We also purchased a small basket of strawberries before leaving. We just had to get some. Why go to a strawberry festival without getting strawberries? They were delicious.

We mostly relaxed on Sunday and did some cooking in the afternoon. We made pizza dough (Dan took photos) and stored those away in both refrigerator and freezer. We also made Maple Chicken with Skillet Potatoes for dinner.

Overall, I had a very nice long weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun! I can't wait to see your pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I always love hearing from you!